A reason not to commit suicide - Technological Singularity

Share your experiences with the opposite sex. Suggest ways to improve your success. Analyze the behavior of females in real life and online. Rant and rave about females. Show the importance of looks pertaining to attracting females and other social situations. Discuss aesthetics and the science of attractiveness. Exchange health, nutrition and looksmaxing tips.

There will be a technological singularity in the future. It is a state in which artificial intelligence exceeds human intelligence. Technological innovations will then rapidly develop and there will be solutions to practically everything. Living forever, changing personalities. plastic surgery would be utterly simple.

A lot of people (Ray Kurzweil, Elizer Yudowosky google them!) believe in it. Sounds too good to be true, but it sort of makes sense. Intelligence is so powerful - and once we work out 'how' it works, building a machine smart enough should be possible...and then that machine can improve itself, and again, and again and again. And amazingly, the vast majority of AI theorists predict this shit will occur WITHIN our lifetimes - even discounting medical advances taking place in the next 70 years.

After a technological singularity, communication will get way easier. You don't need to even speak or use a typewriter to communicate with others. (For example, if it's morally feasible, all of our brains could be be merged into one. (http://lesswrong.com/lw/7ve/paper_draft ... nds_brain/) This will allow instant communication between all of us on earth. Even if we do not merge our brains together, everyone will communicate better and faster because they wouldn't be busy workcelling and will live forever.) Due to improved communication, will all understand and empathize with each other; we will not judge each other anymore by their looks or popularity. Happiness will go way up. There will be no more regrets about "not slaying in our youth" because we will all feel respected and accepted as who we are after we all understand each other. Those who are treated unjustly by society (like being falsely accused for a crime) will eventually be understood and empathized by everyone.

You need to lay off on the drugs, 3DFA :lol:
A TS is a long way off, and this "melding of minds" idea is a bizarre pipedream.
The Angel of SlutRates

3D Face Analysis wrote:A lot of people predict that a technological singularity will happen within our lifetimes.

It won't. This is highly blue-pilled. Don't get me wrong, the singularity very well might happen (when AI can do better research and innovate better than we can), but it will probably be in at least 500 years from now. Look at the past 15 years, what the fuck has really changed in terms of revolutionary technological progress. I don't define social networking, iPhones, and improved video game graphics as revolutionary, they are no where near the leaps that the personal computer, the internet, cars, engines, and all the other shit from the 20th century were.

Black-Pill: we are royally FUCKED compared to the people living 500-1000 years from now, just like the faggots dying of dysentery in their log cabins in the 1800's were fucked compared to us.
Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

IncelExecutioner wrote:
3D Face Analysis wrote:A lot of people predict that a technological singularity will happen within our lifetimes.

It won't. This is highly blue-pilled. Don't get me wrong, the singularity very well might happen (when AI can do better research and innovate better than we can), but it will probably be in at least 500 years from now. Look at the past 15 years, what the fuck has really changed in terms of revolutionary technological progress. I don't define social networking, iPhones, and improved video game graphics as revolutionary, they are no where near the leaps that the personal computer, the internet, cars, engines, and all the other shit from the 20th century were.

Black-Pill: we are royally FUCKED compared to the people living 500-1000 years from now, just like the faggots dying of dysentery in their log cabins in the 1800's were fucked compared to us.

500 years?

Scientists of the next generation:

Engineers of the future:

Try NEVER :ugeek:

3D Face Analysis wrote:All it takes is one person or a few persons to create artificially intelligent machine comparable to human level intelligence. There will be other people to check the safety of the AI.

Source? The potency of AI is mostly dependent on how small the size of a transistor can be reduced to, algorithms that have been worked on for over a century, figuring out how to give computers human-like intuition through some kind of organic neuron-computer interface...in short, many geniuses have been working on this for a long fucking time and we are still no where close to even making a robot who can hold a fluid conversation, much less come up with technological solutions through creativity and problem-solving.

It's highly blue-pilled to think that some jesus-like figure will save us all by figuring out what's stumped the smartest minds on this planet for decades. To put it in perspective, if you put Einstein, Tesla, and Newton in a room together for a hundred years, they wouldn't come anywhere near creating a singularity-capable AI. It's the type of thing that will take thousands of brilliant humans hundreds of years to figure out.

No offense, but I get the sense you talk out of your ass a lot. Some lesser minds might be swayed by your "admin of the site" status, no offense of course.
PostThis post by medjon was deleted by puanewb on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 pm.
Reason: Requested in PM

This sort of stuff is why I'm scared of dying.

Once I'm gone, I wont get to see all the awesome shit invented. :cry:
PostThis post by Zyzz was deleted by puanewb on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:47 pm.
Reason: Requested

I'm pretty sure this is the cope that most redditors use to prolong ther miserable existence. This won't happen in our lifetime. If it does, it won't mean we'll live forever. Live fast in your 20's because after that, you're fucked.

Human brain is the ultimate processor for complex tasks, AI is the ultimate processor for simple tasks. The output of human brain is highly dependent on such an infinite number of variables ranging from individual genetics and environmental factors dictating subjective experiences and the overall unique capacity of the person, that dictate the final expression of ideas. This complex is highly organic and incalculable, so even a brute linear force of AI cannot substitute such uniqueness.

It is necessary to understand how brain works first to progress further.

Would anyone like to actually debate the possiblity of the singularity happening on here?

Think it would give a lot of hope to some of the people here, suicidal or just hating their lives.

I want to go to space. Could you ask them to hurry up with that instead? Thanks.
German/Mexican Aesthetics Crew

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

"There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

"Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

I believe I have something legit to say about this. I'll write something up after I have some time to form my beliefs.

I've written machine learning programs before so I kind of know what I'm talking about.
Life is written in bone.

IncelExecutioner wrote:

This is basically what I agree with. Singularists like to say that because technology progresses exponentially, we are no doubt to see strong AI within our lifetime. This view is just wrong. The rate at which technology progresses is not that linear. I'm guessing that human-level AI wont be seen for another 200 years.

Even by switching to a different transistor technology like FinFETs wont make AI possible on its own.. The problem is that our algorithms are not quite there yet.

Our understanding of how the brain actually accomplishes complex cognitive processes on a computational modeling level is so abysmal. Sure, some massive leaps forward have been made in the last several years with big data, but really it's a drop in the bucket compared to what needs to happen for strong AI.

Basically, strong AI requires a cognitive science that is basically a complete field with no real new developments, lol. That isn't fucking happening anytime soon regardless of how powerful our hardware gets.
Two or three surgeries away from being Ja Rule gang.

SupportLocalSluts wrote:Our understanding of how the brain actually accomplishes complex cognitive processes on a computational modeling level is so abysmal. Sure, some massive leaps forward have been made in the last several years with big data, but really it's a drop in the bucket compared to what needs to happen for strong AI.

Basically, strong AI requires a cognitive science that is basically a complete field with no real new developments, lol. That isn't fucking happening anytime soon regardless of how powerful our hardware gets.

If there was a way of simulating evolution on a powerful computer and speeding it up 100000000x then maybe some sort of rudimentary AI could come about.

Kurzweil describes his law of accelerating returns which predicts an exponential increase in technologies like computers, genetics, nanotechnology, robotics and artificial intelligence. He says this will lead to a technological singularity in the year 2045, a point where progress is so rapid it outstrips humans' ability to comprehend it. Irreversibly transformed, people will augment their minds and bodies with genetic alterations, nanotechnology, and artificial intelligence. Once the Singularity has been reached, Kurzweil predicts machine intelligence will be infinitely more powerful than all human intelligence combined. Afterwards, Kurzweil says, intelligence will radiate outward from the planet until it saturates the universe.

Ray Kurzweil has been described as “the restless genius” by the Wall Street Journal, and “the ultimate thinking machine” by Forbes. Inc. magazine ranked him #8 among entrepreneurs in the United States, calling him the “rightful heir to Thomas Edison,” and PBS included Ray as one of 16 “revolutionaries who made America,” along with other inventors of the past two centuries.

DeppIsGod wrote:THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT ALL THE TIME.

I have always said that the only reason I'm still living is because of mind uploading! In 30 years I will be able to look like Nessman, Pitt or Depp!

Mind uploading... Just lol. We don't even understand what kind of computation the brain is using right now. It's neither analog nor digital and more similar to a signal processing paradigm than anything.

I used to work in a psycholinguistics lab. These people use state of the art connectionist networks and are struggling to understand simple things we do when we accurately process sentences.

As far as sentence processing goes, which is something I'd say is one of those integral human abilities, I don't think it's just a problem of algorithms. It's a problem of complete and total lack of understanding of what we're trying to model in the first place.

Twinky wrote:
Kurzweil describes his law of accelerating returns which predicts an exponential increase in technologies like computers, genetics, nanotechnology, robotics and artificial intelligence. He says this will lead to a technological singularity in the year 2045, a point where progress is so rapid it outstrips humans' ability to comprehend it. Irreversibly transformed, people will augment their minds and bodies with genetic alterations, nanotechnology, and artificial intelligence. Once the Singularity has been reached, Kurzweil predicts machine intelligence will be infinitely more powerful than all human intelligence combined. Afterwards, Kurzweil says, intelligence will radiate outward from the planet until it saturates the universe.

Ray Kurzweil has been described as “the restless genius” by the Wall Street Journal, and “the ultimate thinking machine” by Forbes. Inc. magazine ranked him #8 among entrepreneurs in the United States, calling him the “rightful heir to Thomas Edison,” and PBS included Ray as one of 16 “revolutionaries who made America,” along with other inventors of the past two centuries.

Kurzwiel is a science fiction author who, among other things, did some good work in assistive augmentative communication devices during the 1990s. He helped a lot of people with low functioning autism communicate their wants/needs by inventing these touchscreen tablet computers with text to speech programs and picture icons as a means for communication (yes, this is Ray's actual background). He was a visionary in that he did this well before the iPad existed.

Today, fewer and fewer people use Kurzwiel's AAC software anymore because there are much simpler iPad apps that do it better. Personally, I much prefer using the intuitive iPad AAC apps to kurzweil's AAC software that requires you read a manual the size of a bible in order to program it.

His software hasn't changed with the times and I think he's been too busy writing science fiction for the past 15 yrs to notice it.

SupportLocalSluts wrote:
Twinky wrote:

Kurzwiel is a science fiction author who, among other things, did some good work in assistive augmentative communication devices during the 1990s. He helped a lot of people with low functioning autism communicate their wants/needs by inventing these touchscreen tablet computers with text to speech programs and picture icons as a means for communication (yes, this is Ray's actual background). He was a visionary in that he did this well before the iPad existed.

Today, fewer and fewer people use Kurzwiel's AAC software anymore because there are much simpler iPad apps that do it better. Personally, I much prefer using the intuitive iPad AAC apps to kurzweil's AAC software that requires you read a manual the size of a bible in order to program it.

His software hasn't changed with the times and I think he's been too busy writing science fiction for the past 15 yrs to notice it.

holy fuck, I have a totally different impression of you because of your new avater.

fucking halo effect is so legit.

TheHedonist wrote:
SupportLocalSluts wrote:

holy fuck, I have a totally different impression of you because of your new avater.

fucking halo effect is so legit.

I hope to God you heard Ja Rule's voice as you read the post.
PostThis post by Thonis was deleted by puanewb on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:04 pm.
Reason: Requested by thread

Human Instrumentality would arise as a result of the Third Impact, resulting in all Lilin souls being gathered into Lilith's Egg and united as a single existance. This would create a state of being for humanity where no individual existed; even identifying this being as a conglomerate would be incorrect, since there would be no such concept as an individual. To achieve this extreme homogenization, the flaws in every living being would be complemented by the strengths in others, thus filling the gaps and erasing the insecurities in people's hearts.
INFP Crew
Next

Topic Tags

Return to Shitty Advice