Close-Grip Bench Press 3×6-8
3 x pull up progression
Weighted Plank 3x30-60s

Add 5 to 10 lbs squat and bench and ohp if reps met
10 to 20 lbs for dl

Week 1 AxBxAxx
Week 2 BxAxBxx
Etc

It's great, I think that you should probably do conventional overhand deads instead or do some hamstring/glute specific work like GHR, single legged bridges/thrusts , leg curls in addition to trap bar deads
You need to progress on the abs too, planks without weight will get easy fast. Start putting your elbows above your head further and further

FLAYER wrote:It's great, I think that you should probably do conventional overhand deads instead or do some hamstring/glute specific work like GHR, single legged bridges/thrusts , leg curls in addition to trap bar deads
You need to progress on the abs too, planks without weight will get easy fast. Start putting your elbows above your head further and further

Note: I included weighted planks in the original you must have missed it.

Maybe I will just do conventional DL instead of all that sheit

FLAYER wrote:How is your lifting progress bro

Been doing that program but my lifts except squat and deadlift dropped so far. Because I have gone back to cutting. I ordered sarms online now to help burn fat add lean mass and improve cardio.

My shit genetics doesnt give me decenr results natty. I feel like genetic shit.

I lose fat great then my bench drops 30 lbs.

Eat surplus calories my bench is back to a decent amount but im fat

No winning.

Gymcel Chronicles wrote:
FLAYER wrote:How is your lifting progress bro

Been doing that program but my lifts except squat and deadlift dropped so far. Because I have gone back to cutting. I ordered sarms online now to help burn fat add lean mass and improve cardio.

My shit genetics doesnt give me decenr results natty. I feel like genetic shit.

I lose fat great then my bench drops 30 lbs.

Eat surplus calories my bench is back to a decent amount but im fat

No winning.

Do you ever go cutting at just a 500 deficit and higher carbs and fat? Also taking your training slow may help.
I myself have been worn out in the gym for a week now and unable to hit even 205 on squat- I'm taking a rest now.

Your body doesn't want to be in a foreign state, but if you slowly coax it there with consistency and rest, you will probably make it there

Im not cutting too drastically. I overestimated my weight lost. Ive lost 10-12 lbs.

Every workout the weight I can handle decreases. So far every lift has dropped 30-40 lbs and continues to drop.

I wonder what is happening. I havent lost any weight in about a week now.

Just wondering if I get enough sleep. Eat enough calories. And work out 3 days a week doing the above routine. Then why are my numbers decreasing every workout? Tonight for example I could only squat 175 for 5 reps. Earlier this week(July 4th) it was 190 lbs for 5 reps. And a few weeks ago I was at 245 for a 1RM.

Every workout the weight I can handle decreases instead of increasing.

And the cardio should not be an issue as for two months or so now I've been consistently running and doing calisthenics circuits. I do not usually do cardio on days I lift so it can't account for that and even when I did before I did cardio in the morning and lifted in the evening or vice versa so I had enough rest and it never affected the weight I could lift.

So I am genuinely confused and pissed off. As at this point I'm considering quitting the gym, because if every work out I lose strength and I'm not losing bodyfat or adding muscle then what is the purpose it is serving. It is just the same as burning money to pay for gym membership, whey protein and such and get nothing in return.

This is my lifting stats for this month compared to June for 1rm unless otherwise noted

205 to 175 -30 bench
345 to 300 -45 DL
245 to 203 -42 squat
145 to 85x5 -46 OHP
3 pullups to 0 in a row

210 to 198 -12 (bodyweight)

Only thing I can consider is my form got alot better and I was doing all my lifts with shit form but even that is a stretch but its the only explaination I can think.

Your OHP was exceptional compared to your other lifts. I can't imagine that the reason for that is anything other than your basic muscular advantage that you have being 5'11" with a pretty wide frame, I mean I've benched 212 before but my max OHP has never been above 135. But then again your pound-for-pound strength is bad on every lift. I think frame equates to a good OHP, though- another YouTube guy named ErikTheElectric has a great OHP but mediocre other lifts, like his OHP is 135x5 at 150 lbs or so bodyweight without even training seriously for years but his bench and deadlift are near what I attained

Anything is better than doing nothing. I've got more years in gyms than you can shake a stick at. Let me know if you need any help setting up a workout regime and I'll give you a hand.

What I'm not seeing here is what you mean by this.
2x5, 1x5+ Bench or OHP
2x5 usually regards your sets which here is 2, the x represents of, and the 5 your reps per set. So what does the 1x5+ represent...a third set outside of the other 2?

Basically, if your want to gain strength and size stick to compound movements. Bench, Deadlift, squat, shoulder press, close grip bench, bent rows. Break your body up into 2 or 3 days, I do three myself

1. Chest shoulders, triceps
2. Legs and traps
3 back and biceps, forearms
Day off
Repeat 3 day cycle
2 days off.

* calves and abs every other workout. Stronger bigger more advanced guys should do the first cycle of 3 days heavier with lower reps for strength gains on the compound lifts starting out around 8 reps going down to 3 reps for your top set. Second cycle of 3 days keep reps around 10-12 do slightly more volume and drop rest times to 60-90 seconds.

Most people are doing too many sets per body part. You only need 2 or 3 working sets per exercise with a couple light warm-up sets, and only one completely balls to the wall, all out set. Example for bench

Set 1- 135lbs x 15 easy reps, just getting shoulders lubed.
Set 2 - 225lbs x 8 leaving several reps in the tank for working sets.
Set 3 - 275lbs x 6
Set 4 - 315lbs x 5
Set 5 - 365lbs balls to the wall, to complete failure, usually 3 on my own and one forced rep.
Set 6 - 225lbs x as many as I can do for the pump.

This is an example of my heavy chest day so I take longer between sets so as to full regain strength between sets. Sometimes 3-4 minutes. Basically however long you need to hit your projected numbers but not so long that you lose the pump.

After this I do 3 sets of incline press, either bar or dumbbells, swapping them out all the time for variation, and that's all. I go hard on these too but higher reps around 10-12 and drop rest periods.
Only 6 serious working sets for chest. If you're doing more you will hold back growth

If you are a beginner not making large jumps between sets, u can do a light warm-up set or two and 3 working sets. Keep a log of the weight you use checking to see how many reps you got at each weight so you don't have to mess around figuring out what weight you need to hit a certain amount of reps.
If you're eating right, resting properly and you can't grow on this then you're not trying or your just genetically incapable which is actually quite rare.

The rep schema for 2x5, 1x5+ means you do two working sets of 5 reps. The final set is 5 reps or more. If reaching 5 reps you add a manageable amount of weight (ie 5 lbs) to the next workout for that particular lift and if reaching 10 reps you add double that(ie 10 lbs). In terms of working out usually just a warm up set of 50-75% of the main lift at this point.

This program is based on the Greyskull LIP program which is very customizable.

Personally I prefer a 3 day total body program than a 4 or 5 day split. For one I am into strength training moreso than bodybuilding and for the second reason brosplits aren't very useful to the novice lifter.

So with this program you can (potentially) add 10 lbs to your a squat every week until you "hit a wall" and likewise for the bench or OHP.

If you do not have a base of strength to work with isolation work is simply going at a slower rate or even making reverse progress.

Something I have seen prior even on upper/lower body splits.

However, the stalling right now could be due to stress unrelated to the gym.

Seriously, a novice lifter almost "can't" overtrain themselves because they don't use sufficient weight to do deep tissue damage. You should be able to make gains on almost anything you do, so yes, if you're happy with what you're doing by all means stick with it.
I've done both straight up bodybuilding and powerlifting at different times but make no mistake size and strength are inseparable up to a point. If you're lifting for the bitches though...size is where it's at.
The best overall strength gains, not just in terms of numbers in lifts, but strength that relates to every day things is best made by deadlifting. After a heavy Deadlift day I'm bagged for two days but a year in you'll feel like you can pull up telephone poles.
Anyways, go until you stop making progress, which may be as long as six months as a novice. Then you'll need to swap programs more often after that point and start adding deload weeks and can start working off percentages and projected pr's.
Good luck. I'm around if you want to chat and I've been where you're going, so feel free

zigzzagz wrote:Seriously, a novice lifter almost "can't" overtrain themselves because they don't use sufficient weight to do deep tissue damage. You should be able to make gains on almost anything you do, so yes, if you're happy with what you're doing by all means stick with it.
I've done both straight up bodybuilding and powerlifting at different times but make no mistake size and strength are inseparable up to a point. If you're lifting for the bitches though...size is where it's at.
The best overall strength gains, not just in terms of numbers in lifts, but strength that relates to every day things is best made by deadlifting. After a heavy Deadlift day I'm bagged for two days but a year in you'll feel like you can pull up telephone poles.
Anyways, go until you stop making progress, which may be as long as six months as a novice. Then you'll need to swap programs more often after that point and start adding deload weeks and can start working off percentages and projected pr's.
Good luck. I'm around if you want to chat and I've been where you're going, so feel free

Certainly.

I swapped out weighted planks for weighted situps (I can do 10 with 45 lbs, probably can do more as I can do 222 situps in a row in 5 mins).

Down to 16% bodyfat at 191 lbs at 5'11", aiming for 10% bf at 185 lbs.

So far my lifts are:

325 1RM Deadlift
165 5RM Bench
185 5RM Box squat below parallel (I prefer box squats to regular squats now)
Back to 135 for 1RM on the OHP with strict form
Back to doing 3 good pull ups in a row. Tested it today as been doing assisted pull ups and lat pulldowns every workout.

When I was 210 at >20% bodyfat my best lifts were:
385 1RM Trap bar deadlift
365 1RM Deadlift
245 Low bar back squat
205 1RM bench
145 1RM OHP

As you can see I lost gains as I was approaching intermediate in some lifts.

You lost strength because you lost weight. That's all. Extra body mass, be it fat or even water retention will increase your lifts believe it or not. It changes your leverages, and in deadlift that extra weight acts as a counterbalance. Also, a body that is stable or gaining in weight has full glycogen reserves. I wouldn't bother trying to lose weight if I were you. What I would recommend is keeping your weight stable and growing into that weight. I had taken 2 years off training and when I went back to the gym last January I was 205lbs 21% bf. I didn't concern myself a bit with the losing of fat or weight, just cleaned my diet up and looked to keep my weight stable. It's July now, I'm 212 and 16% bf. That's a beer gain of 18 lbs of lean tissue and a loss of 10 lbs of fat maintaining basically the same bodyweight. Of course muscle memory gets the gains back faster but as a beginning lifter you should be able to out on 20 lbs of lean tissue in your first year even if you've got average genetics. Once you stop trying to lose weight you'll get stronger too for the above mentioned reasons.
Forget this getting ripped shit. Trying to get below 12% or so requires you to lose too much lean b.w. and doing it quickly, as in a prep is even worse and not even good for you. Grow into your weight over a years time and you'll make those strength gains you want.

zigzzagz wrote:You lost strength because you lost weight. That's all. Extra body mass, be it fat or even water retention will increase your lifts believe it or not. It changes your leverages, and in deadlift that extra weight acts as a counterbalance. Also, a body that is stable or gaining in weight has full glycogen reserves. I wouldn't bother trying to lose weight if I were you. What I would recommend is keeping your weight stable and growing into that weight. I had taken 2 years off training and when I went back to the gym last January I was 205lbs 21% bf. I didn't concern myself a bit with the losing of fat or weight, just cleaned my diet up and looked to keep my weight stable. It's July now, I'm 212 and 16% bf. That's a beer gain of 18 lbs of lean tissue and a loss of 10 lbs of fat maintaining basically the same bodyweight. Of course muscle memory gets the gains back faster but as a beginning lifter you should be able to out on 20 lbs of lean tissue in your first year even if you've got average genetics. Once you stop trying to lose weight you'll get stronger too for the above mentioned reasons.
Forget this getting ripped shit. Trying to get below 12% or so requires you to lose too much lean b.w. and doing it quickly, as in a prep is even worse and not even good for you. Grow into your weight over a years time and you'll make those strength gains you want.

Excellent advice

Imma try it out.

Thanks.

Return to Bodybuilding