Jaw surgery shown to dramatically alter personality

Share your experiences with the opposite sex. Suggest ways to improve your success. Analyze the behavior of females in real life and online. Rant and rave about females. Show the importance of looks pertaining to attracting females and other social situations. Discuss aesthetics and the science of attractiveness. Exchange health, nutrition and looksmaxing tips.

Abstract
We introduce a hypothesis which presumes that damage to the vomeronasal organ during a Le Fort I osteotomy of the maxilla for the purpose of orthognathic surgical treatment of congenital or acquired jaw deformities affects the patient's social life in terms of the selection of mates and establishment of relationships. The vomeronasal organ is chemosensory for pheromones, and thus registers unconscious olfactory information which might subsequently act on the limbic system of an individual and influence the selection of mates. We believe it is connected to an inhibitory feedback mechanism which is responsible for the exclusion of inappropriate mates. When the vomeronasal organ is removed or damaged during a maxillary osteotomy, the inhibitory function is lost, the patient loses the involuntary ability to exclude inappropriate mates, may become less committed to an existing mate, or even become promiscuous.

Orthognathic surgery significantly affects the psychological aspects of a patient's personality in almost all cases. In the majority of cases, it significantly increases the patient's self-confidence [8]. Retrospective studies suggest a very high level of satisfaction following orthognathic surgery in comparison with other types of cosmetic surgery, such as rhinoplasty or breast augmentation/reduction [9]. It has been shown that patients significantly improved their psychological-psychiatric profile, including psychoses, neuroses, personality disorders, and social integration [10]. Most importantly for our study, physical attractiveness has a considerable impact on the establishment of new relationships, including dating [11].
sephon wrote:pressure on nose is actually legit though since I have photo proof. It's deformed even more since I posted. I also left it for 10 mins and it did not deform back, though that's probably not enough time. I will post final results before and after I sleep.

More precisely:

We introduce a hypothesis which presumes that damage to the vomeronasal organ during a Le Fort I osteotomy of the maxilla for the purpose of orthognathic surgical treatment of congenital or acquired jaw deformities affects the patient's social life in terms of the selection of mates and establishment of relationships.

Which relates to damage to an organ during the surgery and not necessarily the surgical outcome itself. But the conclusion part you posted doesn't seem to mention the organ so the effect here is unclear without a link to the full paper.

EDIT: So the full paper mentions the second paragraph you posted as a means of background information. The conclusion of the paper suggests that Le Fort 1 osteotomies should be evaluated separately from other orthognathic procedures because it can damage the vomeronasal organ, which leads to the patient being less selective about mates.
Last edited by plastiks on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plastiks wrote:More precisely:

We introduce a hypothesis which presumes that damage to the vomeronasal organ during a Le Fort I osteotomy of the maxilla for the purpose of orthognathic surgical treatment of congenital or acquired jaw deformities affects the patient's social life in terms of the selection of mates and establishment of relationships.

Which relates to damage to an organ during the surgery and not necessarily the surgical outcome itself. But the conclusion part you posted doesn't seem to mention the organ so the effect here is unclear without a link to the full paper.

Here is the link:
http://www.head-face-med.com/content/5/1/5

Topic Tags

Return to Shitty Advice