Lifting weights hinders height potential?

Share your experiences with the opposite sex. Suggest ways to improve your success. Analyze the behavior of females in real life and online. Rant and rave about females. Show the importance of looks pertaining to attracting females and other social situations. Discuss aesthetics and the science of attractiveness. Exchange health, nutrition and looksmaxing tips.

During puberty. Lifting weights -> more T -> more E -> earlier bone maturation

3 LEFORTS AWAY FROM FIRST PLATONIC HUG FROM 38 YEAR OLD FAT SINGLE MOM OF 5 CREW

yes. haven't lifted in my life and i'm 6'3" - it's one of the reasons i never lifted.

Myth

Squats and deads temporarily cause spine compression.

My friend in the military joined at 5'9". He got into heavy powerlifting and after 4 years or so was down to 5'7". Last I talked to him he was talking to a chiropractor who told him he had fucked up his spine more than anyone she's ever seen from just lifting. So it is possible, just not likely. He was getting over 400lbs on the squat, so If you aren't anywhere near that I wouldn't worry about it. Just stretch and be sure to have good posture and you'll be fine.

Spartacus wrote:My friend in the military joined at 5'9". He got into heavy powerlifting and after 4 years or so was down to 5'7". Last I talked to him he was talking to a chiropractor who told him he had fucked up his spine more than anyone she's ever seen from just lifting. So it is possible, just not likely. He was getting over 400lbs on the squat, so If you aren't anywhere near that I wouldn't worry about it. Just stretch and be sure to have good posture and you'll be fine.

Squats are the most retarded way to get your core muscles to work anyway. I dont understand the obsession with them :roll:

Pleosthene wrote:Look... even if having the body doesn't help with girls (which it does), it definitely helps with guys (no homo).

If you walk around with a good body, it will be easy to make guy friends basically, which then can lead to getting girls.

Or even if you don't make guy friends, it's easier to intimidate people etc.

So either way, being jacked is a good thing no matter how you look at it.

Being jacked is good because of dimorphism. The problem is that many guys do too much and end up looking like balloons.
proportions are everything :ugeek:

I got so mad when this research started coming out. I'm now pissed that football coaches had us lifting from when we were 14. I'm 2 inches shorter than I should be and the lifting so early could very well be why. The healthier life style makes up for it to a degree since I'd be an even bigger fatcel without it, but it SUCKS knowing all of this in hindsight. Thing is that there are guys who start lifting at that age and still grow to be 6'5''+

[/quote]

Weight is relative to your frame and body weight.. He could've weighed 250lbs and squatted 400lbs, which is nothing impressive in lifting community.[/quote]

He didn't weight 250lbs. And that isn't the point. 400lbs is a lot for anyone, and can cause some spinal damage or compression no matter who you are. In the past 2 years I've seen exactly 2 guys properly squat over 400lbs. You must live in middle of roidnation if thats not impressive where ever you are. I'm not saying don't squat. I squat twice a week, just be careful doing so.

Spartacus wrote:Weight is relative to your frame and body weight.. He could've weighed 250lbs and squatted 400lbs, which is nothing impressive in lifting community.

He didn't weight 250lbs. And that isn't the point. 400lbs is a lot for anyone, and can cause some spinal damage or compression no matter who you are. In the past 2 years I've seen exactly 2 guys properly squat over 400lbs. You must live in middle of roidnation if thats not impressive where ever you are. I'm not saying don't squat. I squat twice a week, just be careful doing so.

I've done well over 400 along with many of my teammates in HS. Its impressive no doubt, but its not super rare. We weren't going below parallel or ATG though. 400+ ATG is really damn good. At my peak strength when I was a 260lb+ fatcel I did 465x2 ATG.

I can vouch that "sports" like rollerblading, skboarding, etc inhibit growth if done at a young age. I know a kid who's at least 4'8 at age 14 who has rollerbladed for 6 years

I've done well over 400 along with many of my teammates in HS. Its impressive no doubt, but its not super rare. We weren't going below parallel or ATG though. 400+ ATG is really damn good. At my peak strength when I was a 260lb+ fatcel I did 465x2 ATG.[/quote]

I don't count it if its not parallel. 2 days ago I was watching some asian guy squatting 4 plates. It would have been impressive if he wasn't squatting onto a bulso ball that prevented him from going more than a quarter down and pretty much bounced his lazy ass back up on its own. He was walking around like he owned the place too.

There are of course someof HS and college team guys that can do it. But in the rest of the world and especially once those guys leave college, very few can even come close.

LMS was the answer wrote:You must lift at Planet Fitness then. I can guarantee you that most of the 200lbs + people who have been lifting for 1-2 years can squat 400.

Nope a few different gyms around LA. I'm about 210 right now and can do around 275 a2g. Been lifting for years. There are some 200+ who can squat 400 but no way in hell can most after just 2 years. Most people have no interest in pushing that hard.

cake wrote:I can vouch that "sports" like rollerblading, skboarding, etc inhibit growth if done at a young age. I know a kid who's at least 4'8 at age 14 who has rollerbladed for 6 years

Its nothing to do with the actual exercise stunting growth, its due to the fact the exercise is burning a ridiculous amount of calories, especially if its something they were doing on the regular. If someone isnt hitting their caloric needs when they're young they arent going to hit the true height potential.
Neck Training Thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16&p=36#p36
Next

Topic Tags

Return to Shitty Advice